Held at the Galadari Hotel on the 14th and 15th of September 2017, The National Information Technology Conference or NITC played host to nearly 1,000 participants. This year NITC was also held alongside the SEARCC (South East Asia Regional Computer Confederation) Conference, preceding the IFIP (International Federation of Information Processing)/SEARCC meetings in Colombo.
IFIP, the global federation of national computer societies, and SEARCC, its SE Asian regional counterpart, both held annual general meetings for their key executives and decision-makers, culminating in the NITC 2017, organized by the Computer Society of Sri Lanka (CSSL) which was held in cooperation with the SEARCC Conference.
The six-day event attracted 100 international delegates from 50 different countries around the world, including 20 overseas speakers who shared their knowledge and experience in different ICT-related disciplines.
Professor Nick Tate, President of SEARCC and the Keynote speaker for NITC 2017 spoke on valuable strategies to help CIOs successfully navigate today’s highly complex and challenging environment. Mark Lloyd, CEO – Lloyd Enterprises Australia Pty Ltd highlighted the vital role commercial lighting is starting to play as an emerging network and integrated application platform.
Yasas Abeywickrama, President of the Computer Society of Sri Lanka, explained that the event also included an academic stream and a two-day programming competition involving 25 high school students from around the world, in which a Taiwanese team emerged victorious.
Yasas went on to say that “the diversity of activities and a large number of international guests and participants made this the largest international ICT event ever staged in Sri Lanka. The feedback has been overwhelmingly positive and we are pleased to have provided an opportunity for local businesses and government agencies to tap into the knowledge and expertise of our international speakers and delegates, and create opportunities for future collaboration.”
A highlight of the event was the CSSL ICT Awards, which were presented in the following categories to:
- CSSL ICT Student award –School category – Pasindu Chathuranga Wijesena
- The CSSL ICT Student award-Undergraduate category – Keet Malin Sugathadasa
- CSSL ICT Researcher of the year – Dr. Lakshman Jayarathna
- CSSL Emerging ICT leader of the year – Mohamed Shehan
- The Best start-up of the year – LIVEROOM
- CSSL CIO of the year – Udana Wickramasinghe
- CSSL ICT Leader of the year – Dulith Herath
SEARCC International Awards 2017 were also presented during this event and winners were:
- ICT professional of the year – Professor Gihan Dias (Sri Lanka)
- ICT researcher of the year – Professor Han-Chieh Chao (Peoples Republic of China)
- ICT Educator of the year – Dr. Siddhartha Bhattacharyya (India)